- DCE Home
- About DCE
- Future Distance Students
- Current Distance Students
- Distance Programs
- Professional Programs
- Staff Directory
Electromagnetic Compatibility & Signal Integrity
Dr. Thomas Van Doren
Professor Emeritus, Missouri S&T
Electrical & Computer Engineering
Dr. Van Doren has conducted research and education in electromagnetic compatibility for the past 30 years. More than 19,000 engineers and technicians from 105 companies and government agencies have attended his Grounding and Shielding and Circuit Board Layout courses.
Grounding and Shielding of Electronic Systems
A 2-Day Lecture/Demonstration Presentation
Cost and Scheduling
The total costs for the 2-day Grounding and Shielding of Electronic Systems course is $19,800, for a maximum of 35 participants; or $13,000 for a maximum of 20 participants. These prices include all travel expenses in the continental U.S. and one copy of the course notes for each participant. Please email Tom Van Doren at email@example.com or call him at 573-578-4193 to schedule an in-house presentation.
Most engineers and technicians using or designing electronic systems have not had formal training concerning grounding and shielding techniques. Learning how to solve electromagnetic interference and signal integrity problems on the job can be very expensive for the employer and frustrating for the engineer. Most of the electromagnetic and circuit principles involved are simple. However, the complexity of many systems masks the logic and simplicity of possible solutions.
This course: treats signals as currents; explains fundamental grounding, shielding, and signal routing principles; clarifies troublesome terminology; and demonstrates many techniques for identifying and fixing electrical interference problems. The principles will be described as concepts rather than theoretical equations. The emphasis on concepts will make the course useful for people with a wide range of experiences. Several interference mechanisms and shielding techniques will be demonstrated.
Some of the Course Benefits
This course will help engineers and technicians to:
- Use logical procedures, more than ‘trial-and error’, to reduce noise problems;
- Improve the signal integrity of high-speed digital waveforms;
- Reduce the time and cost required to meet emission and susceptibility specifications;
- Determine the optimum grounding technique for both safety and low noise;
- Recognize that all electrical interference problems are caused by four basic coupling mechanisms (conducted, magnetic fields, electric fields & electromagnetic waves); and,
- Determine the correct connection for the shield on a twisted pair cable.
- First Day
- Second Day
2. Current Routing & Least Impedance
4. Field Containment, Bandwidth Balance & Resonance
5. Grounding for Safety and Noise Reduction
Review of First Day
9. Reducing Capacitively Coupled Noise
10. Reducing Inductively Coupled Noise
Dr. Thomas Van Doren
Missouri University of Science and Technology
Electrical & Computer Engineering¿ - EMC Lab
Rolla, MO 65409