- Future Distance Students
- Current Distance Students
- Distance Programs
- Professional Programs
- Staff Directory
Graduate Degree Programs
Master of Science in Explosives Engineering
There is an immediate and growing need for highly trained explosives professionals in the explosive, mining, and civil excavating fields and government and defense industries. Employers are looking for engineers and scientists with sophisticated skills in the integration of explosives technology into complex systems in a wide range of applications. Employers are also seeking MS graduates because they can move quickly into managerial positions.
Missouri S&T faculty are involved in a variety of explosives related research programs. They teach and direct the Explosives Engineering program, in conjunction with instruction by industry specialists in a wide range of applications. Students will have opportunities to assist faculty, both in research and teaching, as well as interact with faculty and graduate students in other engineering and science fields, such as Civil, Architectural, Mechanical, Chemical, Aerospace, Electrical, Geological and Materials Engineering and Geology, Geophysics, Chemistry, and Physics.
The Master of Science in Explosives Engineering requires a minimum of 30 hours of graduate credit and is offered as both thesis and non-thesis options. A core of four courses is required of all students and a module of allied courses in departments outside of explosives engineering is encouraged.
All participants in explosives courses must submit to a security background check.
Missouri S&T’s PhDs are available on a case-by-case basis. Interested students should contact the academic department for details.
The MS degree with thesis requires the completion of 24 hours of graduate coursework and six hours of research (Exp Eng 6099) and the successful completion and defense of a research thesis. For the MS degree non-thesis option, the six hours of research are replaced by an additional explosive course and an industry project.
Four of the following core courses are required of all MS students in Explosives Engineering:
- Exp Eng 5612 / Min Eng 5612: Principles of Explosives Engineering
- Exp Eng 5622 / Min Eng 5622: Blasting Design and Technology
- Exp Eng 5713: Demolition of Building and Structures
- Min Eng 4922: Tunneling and Underground Construction Techniques
- Exp Eng 6412: Environmental Controls for Blasting
- Exp Eng 6312: Scientific Instrumentation for Explosives and Blasting
There is no formal residency requirement. However, students enrolled in courses with a laboratory component may be required to complete a three-day to one-week laboratory session at Missouri S&T, at a time agreed to with the course instructor.
Please check the semester wise Schedule of Classes for a current listing of the courses available for distance students.
- A bachelor of science in engineering, technology or a physical science is required. GPA ≥ 3.0; the GPA may be the cumulative GPA or the last 60 hours of the BS program. For a GPA between 3.0 and 2.75 an applicant may be admitted as a probationary student.
- The Verbal, Quantitative, and Analytical Writing portions of the Graduate Record Examine (GRE) must be taken with a Quantitative score of 148 (600 based on previous scale) or greater and an Analytical Writing score of at least 3.5. International students must take the examination before admission. U.S. students must take the GRE before the end of their first semester on campus.
- For experienced applicants who have significant post baccalaureate work experience, their experience and accomplishments may be assessed by the explosives faculty and taken into consideration. Often a probationary student will first be admitted to the Explosives Engineering Certificate Program. Satisfactorily completing a certificate is an alternate route into the masters and is often used by distance students who do not have the time to study for and take the GRE exam.
Click here for more admission information
Graduate certificate programs are a great way to start earning college credit toward a graduate degree. The GRE is not required to enter a certificate program. If you complete a certificate program with a grade of B or better in all core courses, you may be accepted into the corresponding master's degree program without taking the GRE*.
Explosives Engineering Graduate Certificate Program
*Completion of a graduate certificate program does not automatically guarantee admission into a corresponding graduate degree program. To continue in a master’s degree program, you must apply. Click here for details and check with academic department for program specific details and requirements.
Students listen to online lectures and through directed self-study. Lectures can be accessed online at a time convenient to the student. Alternatively, a student may use recorded versions provided on a flash drive or other devices. Canvas is the learning management system for the campus.
- Request Info
Haven't decided if you want to apply yet? No worries. Just click the Request Information button and fill out the form. We'll respond to your request within 24 hours. You can always email email@example.com or call 573-341-4892 or toll free 1-877-678-1870 with any questions.
Before you apply online, make sure you have all your application materials gathered. Click here for details. If you need help, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 573-341-4892, or toll free 1-877-678-1870 and we'll walk you through the application process.
If you're like most prospective students, you have lots of questions about S&T's distance programs. We've tried to answer the most commonly asked questions, which can be found on the Frequently Asked Questions page.
Hopefully, we've answered your questions. If we haven't, please send them our way. You can email us at email@example.com or call 573-341-4892 or toll free 1-877-678-1870.
226 McNutt Hall
1400 N. Bishop
Rolla, MO 65409-0450
Mining and Explosives Engineering
Global Learning - Distance Education
Student Support Services
216 Centennial Hall, 300 West 12th Street
Rolla, MO 65409-1560
Toll Free: 1-877-678-1870