- DCE Home
- About DCE
- Future Distance Students
- Current Distance Students
- Distance Programs
- Professional Programs
- Staff Directory
Graduate Degree Programs
Master of Science in Civil Engineering
Civil engineers are problem solvers, applying the latest in high-tech equipment and sophisticated procedures to address challenges concerning our environment and infrastructure. Because of the broad nature of civil engineering, Missouri University of Science and Technology offers the following areas of study:
- Environmental Engineering – courses can be tailored to fit the interest of the student, with strong courses in groundwater, soil remediation, air pollution control, and wastewater treatment.
- Structural Engineering – general studies include reinforced concrete, cold-formed steel, fiber reinforced polymer composites, high performance concrete, seismic behavior of structures, damage detection.
- Geotechnical Engineering - study in this area includes courses in soil properties and their measurements, foundations, embankments, earth dams, soil mechanics, numerical modeling, soil dynamics and earthquake engineering.
- Water Resources Engineering - courses are available in various specialty areas, including advanced hydraulics and hydrology, watershed and urban hydrology, physical and mathematical modeling, sediment transport, and river mechanics.
- Construction Engineering - studies focus on managing the design and construction process, including estimating, scheduling, contracts, productivity, and project delivery systems.
This is a non-thesis degree program and requires 30 credit hours of coursework to complete. Please check the Schedule of Classes for a current listing of the courses available for distance students.
Missouri S&T’s PhDs and DEs are available on a case-by-case basis. Interested students should contact the academic department for details.
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline from an accredited program
- GPA ≥3.0; GRE V+Q ≥ 300, GRE Q ≥ 150, and GRE A ≥ 3.5; International requirement: TOEFL IBT ≥ 88, IELTS ≥ 6.5
- Students with non-civil engineering degrees may be required to take additional courses to prepare them for their advanced studies. In some cases, students with non-engineering degrees (e.g., chemistry, physics, geology, or biology) will be considered if deficiencies in mathematics, science and engineering are remedied.
Click here for more admission information
Graduate certificate programs are a great way to start earning college credit toward a graduate degree. The GRE is not required to enter a certificate program. If you complete a certificate program with a grade of B or better in all core courses, you may apply for acceptance into the corresponding master's degree program without taking the GRE*.
Civil Engineering Graduate Certificate Programs
- Contemporary Structural Engineering
- Geoenvironmental Engineering
- Geotechnical Earthquake Engineering
- Infrastructure Renewal
- Project Engineering and Construction Management
*Completion of a graduate certificate program does not automatically guarantee admission into a corresponding graduate degree program. To continue in a master’s degree program, you must apply. Click here for details and check with academic department for program specific details and requirements.
Courses are delivered over the Internet, via live streaming video; collaborative learning software includes WebEx and Canvas; classes are archived online for review and easy access.
- Request Info
Haven't decided if you want to apply yet? No worries. Just click the Request Information button and fill out the form. We'll respond to your request within 24 hours. You can always email email@example.com or call 573-341-4892 or toll free 1-877-678-1870 with any questions.
Before you apply online, make sure you have all your application materials gathered. Click here for details. If you need help, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 573-341-4892, or toll free 1-877-678-1870 and we'll walk you through the application process.
If you're like most prospective students, you have lots of questions about S&T's distance programs. We've tried to answer the most commonly asked questions, which can be found on the Frequently Asked Questions page.
Hopefully, we've answered your questions. If we haven't, please send them our way. You can email us at email@example.com or call 573-341-4892 or toll free 1-877-678-1870.
Dr. William Schonberg
Professor of Civil, Architectural,
and Environmental Engineering
Missouri University of
Science and Technology
230 Butler-Carlton Hall
Rolla, MO 65409-6549
Office Support Assistant
and Environmental Engineering
Senior Assistant Director
Student Support Services
216 Centennial Hall
Rolla, MO 65409-1560
Toll Free: 1-877-678-1870